One cannot overemphasize the importance of consuming ghee in our day to day lives. Its a medicine and has nutrients with innumerable benefits, some of which I have mentioned below:
- Effect on Brain – Only Fat Soluble substances and alcohol soluble substances like ghee can cross the blood brain barrier. Ghee increases the receptive power, cognitive power, remembering power. Brain development takes place mostly during childhood and giving 1 teaspoon of ghee everyday especially during this age, will enhance intellectual power of brain. The effect is multiplied a 100 times if medicated ghee like Brahmi Ghritam, Saraswata Ghritam etc is used. It enhances growth of brain/ memory thus making child sharper and smarter. People with psychiatric complaints like mood disorders, schizophrenia etc get good results with medicated ghee treatments.
- Effect on metabolism – Ghee is said to be Agni Vardhaka and help with bio-chemical transformations in body. Daily one teaspoon of ghee on empty stomach in normal healthy state helps in proper production of Agni.
- Increase immunity – Ghee is said to be Bala Vardhaka. Bala is the resistance power of a person. Immune power is increased which protects body from common colds etc. Suggested medicated ghee – SIndukantham, Amruthaprasham
- Effect on Gastro-Intestinal Tract – Ghee nourishes the mucosa thereby preventing formation / healing of gastric ulcer. It also reduces hyperacidity and prevents burning sensation in chest. Ghee is also good to cure constant gas formation. It also makes digestion normal and enhances quality and functions of gastric and pancreatic juices.
- Action on Male Reproductive System – Ghee can pass the blood testes barrier. Ghee increases sperm count, seminal fluid amount and motility of sperms. In many infertility cases treatment with medicated ghee have brought good results.
- Action on Female Reproductive System – Ghee is a medicine of choice in common gynaecological conditions like menstrual abnormalities, infections of uterine tract, infertility, repeated abortions, uterine prolapse and hormonal imbalance induced uterine and vaginal complaints etc.Ghee is also of special importance during pregnancy i.e. ante-natal care. Ghee medicated with certain medicinal plants if used in the three trimesters of pregnancy, help in full term normal vaginal delivery.
- Good for throat – Ghee is especially good for making voice smooth and tuned. It also prevents fatigue of throat.
- For Detox – Fruits and vegetables that we eat today are full of insecticides and pesticides…..most other food that we eat is also adulterated…..especially meats which contain hormones in high quantity causing hormonal imbalance to body. This is called gara visha in Ayurveda and intake of ghee is an excellent way to detoxify the body.
- Lubricate Joints – Ghee lubricates joints, strengthens back bone and makes them functional. In treatment of osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, ghee is effective.
- Act as anti-agingagent – Consuming ghee delays aging and it brightens face when applied along with pure Turmeric Powder.
- Making respiratory system robust – Ghee prevents occurrence of lung disorders like asthma and other diseases.
HOW TO TAKE GHEE
Ghee should be only taken after the digestive process of our body is good and our Kapha in the body has been decreased. If ghee is taken in this condition, it will get digested well and will act like a Nectar or Amrut.
If ghee is taken during acute infections or when there is high temperature or when there is little or no appetite with increased Kapha, it will not get digested and will act like poison. Either there will be aggravation of the condition or there will not be any effect on the system…..
Read Next– Cooking oils 101 – When & how to use them…